Monday, May 31, 2010

My life in Nepal - First day

My life in Nepal
I arrived Kathmandu safe and sound on Monday noon. As the plane was descending to the Kathmandu airport, I could see the mountains, and yes, Himalaya, up close and personal. I was anxious about my trip a week before as there was mass protest in Kathmandu from Maoist movement. But on Friday, Nepali Prime Minister announced to resign sometime soon to avert the political crisis. I am not very much worried about the political situation. The political situation in Nepal and Thailand are both a mess now.

I stay at a cheap guest house in downtown Kathmandu. It costs me only 10 dollars per night and the fee reflects the conditions of the room. There is no air-conditioner (the one with air con is more than 40 dollars that I cannot afford). My mom was right. She told me not to trust anyone’s bed sheet and pillow covers. So, I brought my own bed sheet, pillow covers and many other basic stuff such as water boiler, towel and canned food from Bangkok.

I was greeted by blackouts in Kathmandu yesterday. People told me that the power would be out a few times a day, each for two or three hours. I asked very stupid question like “why?”. They told me the government does not have enough electricity so they have to shut down the power from time to time. Yesterday, I was staying in the dark from 5 to almost 8 PM. And after midnight, I woke up in the middle of the night because the electric fan stopped because of the blackout.

Otherwise, people were generally friendly. I walked along the alleyways in Thamel yesterday evening. It was a beautiful neighbourhood with small shops selling crafts and fabrics. People told me how to greet and say “thank you” in Nepali. While I could not pronounce it properly, one of them took a liberty of taking my arm and wrote down the correct pronunciation on my arm so I would be able to remember the correct pronunciation. I have been travelling a lot in my life and I believe I have an intuition about the place that I have visited. And based on my first day and super shallow observation, I feel that the city is generally safe and I feel comfortable walking around on my own.

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are there safely. I've definitely been thinking about you these past few weeks. It is amazing how your intuitions steer you in the right direction so many times. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used the writing on my arm strategy yet for Hebrew or Arabic. I'll give it a try!
    Glad you are there safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that someone wrote on your arm! That's so funny, yet helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear All, thanks for your comments. I will be out of town this weekend to do a survey.. fingers crossed..

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brave for wandering about town on your own! It's intimidating for me...but I'm getting more comfortable as the days go by. Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you made it safely! Good luck on your survey!

    ReplyDelete